Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Miss Gracie, The Wonderful


I have this adorable, fireball of a 4 year old, whose tenacity and vigour has only grown over the few short years of her life. She challenges my husband and I to face our limits, and figure out how to push them back. She teaches me every day about being loving and caring and totally devoted. She clings to me like a baby monkey; arms and legs wrapped around me with no room for air between us. Her hugs are so tight they can be almost painful.
As I write this I get a feeling of love that surges through me, there is no description my common-place brain can come up with to describe the totality of the adoration I have for her.
Grace, full of adventure, life and chaos.
I worry for her. How do I teach her to reign herself in, not to be so forward, so outspoken so brash and bossy. Should I teach her that?
My biggest frustration as an adult is my inability to confront an uncomfortable situation, so much so that I often wonder if I even know what my values are because I'm so busy conforming to everyone else's. I don't want her to be like that, I want her to have an opinion, speak her mind. Yet...I also want her to care and love and be kind and generous of spirit, which she already is in so many ways. Where do you find a balance?
I think my little miss Grace will teach me many things in my lifetime. Perhaps abandoning conformity will be the hardest lesson.
I can't wait for her to start school. She loves to learn and is so smart and quick. I pray she has a teacher who is tolerant and patient with a little girl who has a lot of difficulty sitting still...

No comments:

Post a Comment