Thursday, September 3, 2009

Birthday Bliss

This year, for my birthday, I will celebrate the little things, rather than looking for a pie-in-the-sky celebration that I don't need.
At 1:30 in the morning on my birthday, Grace, my 4-year old, woke up coughing, as she had for the last couple of nights. When I went in to give her some cough remedy, she sat up and said "It's your birthday tomorrow, Mommy! Jacob says we always go out for supper for birthdays, so we get to take you out for supper tomorrow!"
I am touched that she thinks of me when waking up in the middle of the night.

In the morning, the kids are eager for me to open the birthday card they signed for me, which opens, and unfolds, and unfolds again to reveal a BIG heart, with the words I LOVE YOU in it. I get hugs and kisses to start my day. How wonderful!
My husband gives me a card that says he would marry me all over again. After 11 years of ups and downs, I am more touched by this than I admit. Some days I wouldn't want to be married to me!
My brother and sister-in-law call and sing Happy Birthday over the phone while I sit at my desk working~ how silly and fun! It's nice to be thought of.

After a day at work, where a friend meets me and takes me out for lunch, I get to go out on a date with my hubby for supper, and I get to eat my favorite Santa Fe Chicken salad at the restaurant.
My mother watches the kids for us, my sister calls to celebrate with me and I get to go to bed and read a good book at the end of a wonderful day.
What more can I ask for? A wonderful birthday indeed.
Today, I celebrate my wonderful family, and the love that surrounds me. I choose to be more aware of that love.

No comments:

Post a Comment