Monday, September 21, 2009

Loyalty...

Sometimes life throws you curve balls, you know? Like you're not really sure how to react, and who to support, and where your loyalty should lie? I'm having one of those curve ball experiences. It's been going on for a week or two now, and I still haven't figured out a way to sit comfortably on either side of the issue, and I can't stay on the fence, sooner or later, the gate must swing one way or the other. Probably sooner rather than later, and I'm going to have to justify my decision. I can, and I'm pretty sure it's the right decision, but I don't do well with hurting people's feelings, and I have some misgivings about how involved I should really be, cause this is not my fight...
On the one hand, a friend of mine was mistreated, and from what I know, undeservingly so. On the other hand, the person who mistreated her is also a friend, and not someone who would take this situation lightly. While everyone deserves the benefit of the doubt, I don't feel I can continue to support her without that being a statement on my feelings about the matter.
Ewww. I hate these situations. I guess the reality is, I am choosing to side with my apparently mistreated friend, but am sad to damage, perhaps irrevocably, my relationship with the other.
I also wonder if I should speak with my friend, hear her side and tell her how dissappointed I am in her decision. Is it any of my business? Am I just meddling, or am I being honest with a friend? Will it help anything? Will it change the results of my decision? Maybe I'm just trying to ensure I still get to be friends with her, because I have so enjoyed learning from her and sharing with her and I would hate to lose the bond we have....
Again, Ewwww.
So, where's the blessing in this? I'll keep you posted.

September 28/09 A follow up: The universe, in its divine wisdom, decided for me. I sat down with my friend, knots in stomach notwithstanding, to try and get through this scene and move forward. She shared her side of the story, and while I still may not agree with her decision, I can better understand why she made the decision she did.
Mostly, I am just blessed to have someone in my life who is so willing to communicate, listen and share. It leaves me wondering why I automatically assume our friendship is unable to hurdle an incident such as this one. Why am I so willing to believe that someone would rather end a friendship than value it as I do? What causes me to think little enough of myself to believe I'm not worth it?
I think the truth of the matter is that I don't allow people the benefit of the doubt. I assume their feelings for me are shallow, and also assume they won't want to make an effort. Am I projecting this on them because I am like that? I hope not! I want my way of thinking to be more balanced and fair, and perhaps a little less self-involved! Geez, did I really think I was a pivotal part of all this? I make rash decisions. I've always disliked that about myself.

I think my blessing here is a wonderful, understanding friend and a learning opportunity found.

No comments:

Post a Comment