Monday, October 19, 2009

"We're Awesome!!!!!"

I've been thinking a lot about how to help my children avoid having low self-esteem, this being something I have struggled with all my life. I was trying to figure out the deepest psychological roots of this matter, and how to 'shape their minds' accordingly. I was trying to determine how to break the pattern, when I don't seem to be solidly aware of what the pattern is.
Then it occurred to me, it's probably very simple. We are what we say we are. We manifest our own destiny by the way we think, and one of the truths I've learned is; we can change our thinking, with effort and practice. So, this weekend, after a great swimming lesson and a fabulous round of gymnastics, I taught my kids to shout "I'm Awesome!". Why? Because they are. It seems a little silly, but over the past two days, at every possible occasion, I've encouraged them to say it. With conviction. So far, it just makes them giggle.
But, I figure, there will be enough people in the world who will try and tell them differently, so it seems only fair that they learn it's ok to blow your own horn. And to act accordingly.
Maybe I'll start shouting it too.
I'M AWESOME!!!!!!! (given some time and practice, I may start to believe it!)

1 comment: